My initial reaction to Fun Home was not very enthusiastic. It is very difficult for good sighted people to figure out the flow of a graphic novel never mind someone with a visual impairment. I found that I did not know which to read first the speech within the scene or the captions. My eyes were very confused and overwhelmed on where they should look first. I believe that if there was some organization to this book I would have been able to follow it better. This could be achieved through keeping the pictures the same size throughout the book. I could be wrong but I also feel as though the text is different sizes between speech bubbles and captions. The pictures were very detailed and told the reader a lot however they also became overwhelming to the eye because unless the picture was meant to resemble chaos I was not always sure what to gather from the image I was looking at. In smaller pictures characters looked the same to me and this might have had something to do with the different shades of blue used in this book. I find it kind of ironic that blue, which is a calming color resembling tranquility is chosen for the color scheme of this book however it might be foreshadowing the of the book which is unknown to me at this point in my reading. It could mean that although the main character is going through difficult times she could come to terms with her life and be at peace with it in the end. I am still going into this book with an open mind even though it is very hard at this point to enjoy something that reminds me of my inability to enjoy reading as a visual person because it causes headaches after a certain amount of time and is one of the only reminders on a daily basis of the fact that I am visually impaired. This is defiantly an internal struggle I am learning to cope with that I must put aside to learn of the struggles the characters face.
No comments:
Post a Comment